3.06.2010

Saturday night--action happening

I apologize for not writing earlier, but the day begins and before you know it, it's nearly over.I will try to describe yesterday.  We left in the morning for our day "away" to see what lies beyond Marie's area.  We started by stopping at Marie's sisters house where her three story church collapsed.  There is a huge tent city there.  We walked into the "city" and tried to carry smiles to encourage those staring back at us.  Because of the rain the ground was muddy and we weren't sure what we were walking in.  The tents practically touch each other - all different types and some made with whatever they could find.  I was pleased to see that it's business as usual for people, as outside of their tent they would have a little box set up selling whatever they can to bring money.  There was even a woman cooking and people in line to be fed.  Her sister had a huge tarp/tent up with a service going on.  People were worshiping and dancing and they even had music and drums.  It was told that they were thanking God for being alive and arriving from PAP to this site.  It was VERY upsetting to see little children walking around half dressed with nothing to do and just staring at us.  I wanted to have an unlimited supply of ANYTHING to give them, but had nothing but a smile and to tell them "God bless you!"

From there we went to Food for the Poor.  This is the International Warehouse where we hope to get our container from to deliver all the collections we have at the warehouse.  I wasn't able to speak to anyone, but the warehouse was buzzing with activity and full of supplies.

Then we took the longgggg drive to PAP.  The traffic was so bad and people everywhere.  Soon we saw the downed buildings.  It felt like we were in a bad movie and I actually started feeling sick to my stomach.  The task at hand seems so enormous that I felt speechless - for those who  know me - that takes something huge.  In over and hour of driving thru street after street we only saw TWO cranes working on the rubble.  Every other HUGE mound of broken structure remained as it was two months ago.  The people on the street all walked around the bricks and they looked as if it was just another day in Haiti.  I didn't see any relief workers to speak of.  That's what stood out to me.  NO progress.  I didn't even want to think about how many bodies were buried.  Joan, Jeneane and I each had personal moments when grief and tears were shed over something that broke our heart.  It's all too huge of a problem to even feel "it's all going to be ok!"  I hope I am totally wrong and that there is EXTENSIVE planning or the next step to repair Haiti.  We did see two different sections of land that were cleared and our companion and translator, Frenzy said that was where the government donated land for people to come and set up a temporary home.  Let me tell you the space wouldn't begin to make ANY kind of noticeable difference.  So - after going through PAP and Delmas, another area affected - (The Carribean Market - which was talked about on the news) - we finally reached the second orphanage - COENHA. 

The 30 children were waiting and greeted us with big smiles.  They got a kick out of me trying to remember all of their names and pronouncing them so badly.  We did a couple of craft projects with them and because we had taken so many photos and video of the sights in PAP, our batteries went dead on our cameras!  big frustration for me, as I like to have many photos to see of their sponsored child.  I was enouraged that they had a huge nice tent in their yard where they all continue to sleep.  They have additional children staying with them that lost their home in the quake.  Besides the tent I have to say they are living in dire straights.  They need EVERYTHING.  The children are so polite and well behaved.  They are thankful for every little thing you give them. I assured the Pastor of all the people who have donated to improve their living conditions.  they are sleeping on cement with a tattered sheet to protect them from the rough concrete.  There are 8 bunk beds for all those children and NONE of them have a mattress - only frames!  I was able to leave him with some hygiene supplies and a few clothes.  He said the children all need shoes and clothes for church.  This is a time when ALL Haitians want and do look very respectable. They have their "dressy" church outfit.  So - when I get home I will have to work on determining how to get relief to them.  By the time we got home we were all emotionally drained.  Another noisy night of dogs, goats and roosters.  I couldn't sleep well and believe it or not I was COLD!  The weather the past two days has been overcast and not even hot.  I have never experienced that here before. 

But - today was a new day and we had pancakes for breakfast - so that was a great start.  Today we spent our time and energy at the orphanage site trying to make it as cleaned up and safe as possible for the girls.  ALL the girls worked so hard.  Even the youngest helped with garbage patrol.  While no one else may think the area looks too great - we have a pile of garbage to prove it!  MANY things are still displaced and needed, but it was starting to look more like "home".  The afternoon was spent having fun as we did more crafts and the girls enjoyed seeing the cards other children had made for them. The tried to read the English and enjoyed the challenge.  They made cards in return to send back with us, thanking those who were so thoughtful in caring for them. 

One of the little girls had a high fever, and Marie said it has been running thru the group of them since the quake. But - I was glad to see that the rest of them look healthly, sound healthy and I savor any laughter they offer.  Their smiles make me melt and it's a good thing my stays are generally only a week, or they would be even MORE spoiled. 

I asked the three oldest girls if they had been afraid.  They all said "yes."  And then they indicated that they still are.  I wish I was able to talk with them and allow them to vent their experience and console them - or whatever.  It HAS to have a lasting impact on all of them that needs to be addressed.  (I might have mentioned on a prior BLOG that Catholic Relief Services did come two days ago and spoke with the girls in an organized fashion for quite awhile.  I was told they were offering "psychological support."  I was quite impressed and happy about that.

Well - you have probably read more than you cared to read....but you know me when I start talkin' Haiti. I am ashamed of myself that I haven't mentioned before now how incredibly thankful I am to be able to come here and tell them they have NOT been forgotten and rebuilding WILL take place and they need not feel abandoned.  But, the only reason I CAN say it is because of ALL the caring hearts that were so generous to make that a reality.  I truly thank again EVERYONE for the honor of being able to give them this wonderful hope and news.

 Tomorrow we will have "church" across from Marie's under the tin roofed arch that she had built right after the quake where they slept in the gravel.  There are tarps and anything they could find around parts of it.  The good news being that God could care less where we worship Him - So tomorrow we will be giving thanksgiving for what we DO have and rely on Him to lead us from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment



EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS

FOR HAITI BLOG POSTS




GRACE HOUSE OF HOPE, HAITI
PHOTOS
VIDEOS