5.02.2010

May 2nd 2010

May 2nd, 2010. About a week ago I had no idea of what to expect coming to Haiti. I never thought that right after getting my passport, this would be the first place that I would visit. I actually never even knew anything about this country before the earthquake and just a few short months after, here I am!
My first impression of the sights that I had seen coming off the plane was absolutely chaos. There were people just relentless to help with your bags or whatever you are bringing. I didn’t know that they would so much as go through the trouble of creating, “speed bumps” on the sidewalk just to make you purposely drop your cart of luggage so they could help you and then ask for money for that help. As I chuckle to myself I think, “What the heck did I get myself into?” A lot of this country, from what I have seen, reminds me of Iraq. Everything in rubble, people everywhere in tattered clothing, the smell of that choking exhaust from old vehicles. Oh and that awful unforgiving sun. (Just to name a few)
Today I had the pleasure of witnessing a sermon at a church that we finished building over the last week. The people in and around this neighborhood gathered under the sun during the hottest part of the day to hear the word. Just being glad to be there, to hear the word of the lord, and rejoice. We finished the pews on Saturday just in time and to be perfectly honest, I felt some sense of accomplishment and proud that I could help. Everyone worked very hard this past week and I’m sure they share some of the same feelings as I do.
After church we went out about an hour later to see the smiling faces of Cohena children’s orphanage. Mostly boys this time and I had a few small conversations with some of them in Spanish. It absolutely amazes me that a lot of these children are already speaking two and three languages when I had a hard enough time with English at that age. One of the other team members brought a Frisbee for them and we had a few throws before we left. I love seeing the kids so happy. I always wish I could do more.
The end of our night ended with a very short visit to a few “very different” markets looking for the ingredients for spaghetti of all things to make in Haiti. Around the market people look at me funny because I’m lighter skinned…( HA HA) I have never had that kind of attention before. Marie walked around those places like she owned them which in ways is a good thing. We got what we needed and left, but not before the first thunderstorm of the month, which lasted awhile. Riding in the bed of the truck getting soaked, we capped it off with a delicious dinner, lots of laughs, and one sprained ankle to which I still don’t know how it happened!
I have been truly blessed with the opportunity to come down to this country, with a team of angels with huge hearts and helping hands. I will cherish these memories. I look forward to coming back and helping more.

Matthew Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment



EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS

FOR HAITI BLOG POSTS




GRACE HOUSE OF HOPE, HAITI
PHOTOS
VIDEOS