7.22.2011

Haiti - is really an action word!

Suffering with “bloggers guilt” and having too much in my heart – I decided to blog today, even though Renee has already bogged as well.  That way – for those of you who have been waiting for an entry….today is bonus day!  If tomorrow does not offer us an opportunity to actually sit and type one, may this one cover us! J

ALL the days are now running together. I don’t know if it’s my feeble mind, or if an alert 20 year old would experience the same.  Today, Little Patty’s father (my God child) told me that after visiting me here on Tuesday, she has been getting dressed early each day thereafter asking if she can come to work with him here at New Life so she can see me and swing on the swing.  I suspect her first experience of swinging on a swing such as the one here has now taken top priority over me.  I shall weep over that reality later…

As I mentioned in a previous blog, my child from Compassion International did indeed come to visit on Wednesday.  It was an amazing reunion as he ran to greet me with arms so tight around my neck I thought he was going to hold me tight forever.  I met his father for the first time, who is now supporting and raising him as a result of his mother dying in March.  Before he left I asked if he would sing a song for me, as he told me before that he likes to sing.  With just a few moments of hesitation he stood and began.  The song was very long and his sweet voice went both high and low and the tune was very interesting.  The translator explained that around Christmas time the country had a national singing contest and many people tried out, singing this newly written song.  It basically asked God to bless the country after all that was lost in the earthquake and not to forget them as a people.  Just knowing he was singing that message so heartfelt made me sad.  I guess I don’t want anyone here in Haiti to have the burden of their poverty in their heart.  But why wouldn’t they?  To know MY prayer requests NEVER touch on God rescuing me from the depths of nothingness – I can’t imagine the faith and hope it takes to trust God that He will rescue and restore their lives.  I have had their prayers translated to me, and the MAJORITY of their prayers are prayers of THANKSGIVING to God vs. prayers asking for help!

Before leaving for Haiti, two sponsors gave money to buy a treat for all the children while we were here.  We were given a “tip” by one of the older children here of a place to go where the ice cream and other treats are actually manufactured cheaper.  By it resembling something a “sale price” , I was all over it! Silly me is half expecting a big building on the main street….but it was down a dusty narrow road.  Soon we came to the usual huge tall gate and after a few honks of our horn, with caution, we were allowed in.  We went up many stairs and at the top we were greeted by a Canadian woman who spoke English and she welcomed us into her air conditioned office which looked quite American. NOTHING you would have expected to see by the condition of the surroundings.  We bought cups of ice cream and little single packages of cake for each child and we were so excited for the party to come!  On Wed. night during devotional time – in the dark of the night the children were surprised with the treats!  Lots of happy faces, and many chins dripping with white ice cream.  I had the humble experience of hand feeding one of the disabled children who can’t feed himself, nor speak but his eyes expressed his delight.  

Yesterday, I had the fun of being included by a team here who was treating the children of New Life to a trip to the beach.  The morning was filled with excitement as everyone prepared for their day away.  We were told that there were about 10 of the children who weren’t going to be allowed to go, based on behavioral issues.  We all loaded into a small bus – housing sometimes 4 to a seat meant for TWO – we sat there and sweat – waiting to leave.  All at once it was announced that three of the little boys had to exit the bus, as they were still under the consequences of poor choices.  I could hardly watch them walk away slowly….tough love abounds and is needed to raise up respectful children.

The children sang songs and used the back of seats for a drum all the way there.  It also offers them the chance to see beyond their walls of life in Haiti and what one day will be the place where they will have to use what they are learning now – to survive.  As you would imagine – fun was had by all.  You can’t imagine a scene SO beautiful is part of the ugliness that exists on the road behind you.  Lots of fun photos taken and all you could hear were their voices exclaiming their deep pleasure.  As I sat on the shore I frequently heard “Sister Patty!”  When I looked their way they would do some kind of trick in the water or show me something that required me to clap and yell, “Bravo!” And then that antic would be followed by another and another… No matter where you do – children LOVE attention and affirmation. 

The ride home in the bus was longggg and hot.  Many kids sleeping after a day of fun. All of a sudden there was a very loud bang – I expected to find a bullet hole somewhere - but thankfully, I guess, we blew a tire!  In a flash, I could picture all 80+ of us standing alongside a hot dusty road waiting for a repair.  Thankfully, it was reported as an “inside tire” and we were told we were OK to continue – only now we traveled at 25 MPH instead of 45.  Dusk was around the corner after we returned and Renee and I found ourselves in GREAT need of a cold shower and our beds were looking pretty darn good!

Today I am hoping to help children with the remaining thank you notes to sponsors. It’s a project that has lasted all week.  I am not complaining because the more notes to write, means the more sponsors who have stepped forward. If you are reading this as a sponsor – please know your child is MORE than happy to give their personalized touch with a sincere thank you!  Many sponsors have also written their child a letter – so I will get the blessing of sharing those words of love with the child as the days continue.  I have never stayed here two weeks before – I normally leave after one week, which would be tomorrow.  I couldn’t imagine going home so soon and am thankful that I have another week to share with these precious children of God and only hope Renee and I have given them even a moment of joy compared to what they have given us which will be part of us forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment



EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS

FOR HAITI BLOG POSTS




GRACE HOUSE OF HOPE, HAITI
PHOTOS
VIDEOS