11.01.2011

Another great day at the office

11/1/11
Kids were off from school today and they are off tomorrow as well. Today is a Voodoo day (or as we call it Halloween) and tomorrow is a Holy day (almost like a Christian counter to the voodoo). It was a very big day for the Orphanage, big clean up day that is. Every one participated one way or another. A lot of bleach and scrubbing took place and the kids worked so hard. By the time late afternoon arrived, it really smelled clean at the orphanage.
We (Tim, Rene, Frantzy, Fednere and I) worked on finishing some of the other projects. Boys bathroom that Tim was working on, got a major renovation with new doors for the stalls, new stand for the sink, shower curtain rod (just need some shower curtains), remounted screen doors (hopefully will last a while) and 5 foot mirror. 
Boys found this mirror in the storage so we’ve made a frame and mounted on the wall for them. Fednere still needs to finish the plumbing, but we could not get the parts today.
I was able to finish making the replacement legs for the chair (unlike at home where everything like this is placed by the curb for garbage pick up). I have to say that the finished product even supprized me, just little bit of stain and it looks like new (well it works like new, well it will do the intended job).
I had time to repair a wooden bed frame for one of the guest rooms, Renee with Frantzy worked on welding up a metal bed frame. My challenge for the day was to repair collapsed frame of the box spring. I did not take a picture of it, but needless to say it was a very interesting construction under the fabric! I was able to make it usable again. Oh, Tim and I also repaired gate around refuse, so the dogs would not get in there. So today was a very typical Haitian day, got some things accomplished, had to make due with parts and supplies we had, and the rest of stuff will get done tomorrow!
On the more serious note, Alex is still hanging to his life. He had some liquid last night but not much. However, this afternoon he had some rice to eat. Let’s pray the this trend will continue. When I went to visit Alex, the two brothers were eating their dinner as well. The 10 year old was feeding the 10 month old, it was such a great site (sorry I did not have my camera with me). What an example of brotherly love! I never got along with my sister like that (sorry sis)!

Bill    

No comments:

Post a Comment



EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS

FOR HAITI BLOG POSTS




GRACE HOUSE OF HOPE, HAITI
PHOTOS
VIDEOS